July 15, 2009

Sakazuki Yokocho


This is the entrance to the Sakazuki Yokocho. 'Sakazuki' usually refers to a cup used for sake or wine and 'Yokocho' is a road that is perpendicular to the main road.

Sakazuki Yokocho has a very 'Showa' feel to it. The Showa Period in Japan was from 1926 to 1989, so things during that time are now considered retro. Or what my parents call 'the-good-ole-days!'

You can see the poster of an old movie up on the wall near the entrance. It's a popular movie called 'Otoko wa Tsurai yo' which roughly translates to 'Men have it hard.' The main character, Tora-san, is loved by a lot of people here in Japan.

There are about 20 shops along the Sakazuki Yokocho. Most are izakayas or bars at night. But during the afternoon the shops also serve lunch.

4 comments:

Copenhagen said...

Hey, I meant to ask you how long you've been living in Japan and what brought you there.

henny said...

:))...
It's time to introduce yourself, Kaori!

Yes it has an old feeling about it.
It really helps if they put Hiragana along with Kanji writing to help Kanji illiterates (me). I can read it easily :).

dyanna said...

I like Japan.It's a beautiful country.

Kaori said...

White Oleander, well, to make the long story short, I'm full Japanese, born in Okinawa, but grew up in the US, then came back to Japan, and I've been here 12 years, lived in Sapporo, Hiroshima, and now in Tokorozawa. I work in Tokyo so it's a nice residential area to live in, which is why I'm still here :)

Henny, I've lived in so many places I never know what to say when people ask me where I'm from. I agree with you completely, hiragana is the best :)

Dyanna, thank you! I think Japan is pretty great too. Have you ever been here?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...