January 22, 2011

Wood Wall


This is a photo of the walls of Asama Shrine.

I love seeing the knots and growth rings in the wood. I actually just learned that growth rings are called Nenrin (年輪) in Japanese. It literally means "year rings."

I think this is a perfect time to quickly give a shout out to my friend Kenichi's blog NENRIN. He's heading out to Morocco at the moment and his photos are really fantastic. So if you can read Japanese or just want to see the photo's, hope you'll take the time to go see his blog (http://nenrin.blogspot.com/)!


See other wonderful reflections from around the world at Weekend Reflections hosted by James.

15 comments:

Lesley said...

The grain in this wood is very pleasing to look at.

Laura said...

exquisite wood...it is clear each plank was selected with care for a sacred place.

arabesque said...

never thought the wood grains can actually have a deep meaning.
now i have another new word to learn. thanks kaori. ^0^

ps:
can;t wait to see you friends' blog.
can't wait to see morocco.

Birdman said...

I see what strikes you in this wood grain. Beauty!

VP said...

I like wood, polished wood is simply wonderful. I can't understand Japanese but I'd like to see some pictures of your friend, I'll check the link.

Al said...

That is beautiful wood. There's something about wood that I love too, it's a wonderful material.

RNSANE said...

The wall is a work of art - lovely!

Becky Chalet said...

Some age old wood in age old shrine, nice to see them taken cared of.

Unknown said...

I also love the patterns on the wood. The wood used for Japanese buildings are beautiful, they have a certain warmth.

ps. thanks for the link. My japanese is so basic that I'd probably not be able to understand but I will check it out :)

Serendipity said...

Great reflection shot!

T. Becque said...

I've a wood photo going up on Sunday :) I like the design of this.

Anonymous said...

There are rarely more things as honest as wood. Beautiful. Please have a good Sunday.

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» really likes the geometry of these images, Kaori. Very, very nice.

'Tsuki said...

Remarkable wood work... I like very much the angle you chose to take your picture.

xlpharmacy said...

Looks like need some work, looks dry and without color. But the design is beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...